TOP NEWS: Nat’l Security / Foreign Affairs: May 19, 2012
- Blind Chinese Activist Departs for U.S.
- Congress Must OK Military Intervention
- Export-Import Bank: Corporate Welfare
- Get Tougher With Vladimir Putin
- Chicago Protests Draw Thousands Before NATO Event
- Hollande Tells Obama Troop Pullout Will Proceed
Excerpts and more stories below
- Blind Chinese Activist Departs for U.S. – Josh Chin – WSJ – Blind Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng left China for the U.S. on Saturday, bringing to an end an episode that strained relations between Washington and Beijing and put Chinese human-rights issues under an intense spotlight.
- Congress Must OK Military Intervention - Sen. Jim Webb, The Daily Beast
- Export-Import Bank: Corporate Welfare - Richmond Times-Dispatch
- Get Tougher With Vladimir Putin - Boston Globe
- Chicago Protests Draw Thousands Before NATO Event – Monica Davey and Steven Yaccino - NYTIMES
- Hollande Tells Obama Troop Pullout Will Proceed- Helene Cooper and John H. Cushman, Jr. – NYTIMES
- Rising Greek Political Star, Foe of Austerity, Puts Europe on Edge – Rachel Donadio & Liz Alderman -NYTIMES- The left-wing leader Alexis Tsipras, who pledges to repudiate Greece’s austerity-for-loans bailout deal, says the country’s problem is a European one, necessitating a European solution.
- Heading Into Talks With Iran, U.S. Sees Hopeful Signs – Mark Landler – NYTIMES As American negotiators prepare for nuclear talks next week in Baghdad, they say recent statements from Iran and pressure from sanctions have raised the chances of compromise.
- OPEC Sees Sanctions Taking Toll on Iran Oil Production NYTIMES
- U.S. Envoy to Israel Says Nation Is Ready on Iran NYTIMES
- Earmark Puts $17,000 Pans on Army Craft - Eric Lichtblau – NYTIMES At a time of fiscal austerity, critics are pointing to the cost of a helicopter part made by a company whose owners are donors to Representative Harold Rogers, a Kentucky Republican. Behind Army’s $17,000 Drip Pan, Harold Rogers’s Earmark. More
- Mexico: 8 Held in Investigation Into 49 Dismembered Bodies – ASSOCIATED PRESS
- Crackdown on Students Stokes Fury Within Syria – Rick Gladstone – NYTIMES
- Bahrain: Unity Plan Denounced – Kareem Fahim - NYTIMES